Chasing Cheerios

Monday, May 17, 2010

A Book Garland


O LOVES to read! She has known her letter sounds for a while (I give most of the credit for this to her watching the Letter Factory once or twice a week for a couple of months), and suddenly something clicked (while playing with the spinny speller, paint chip word game, trap door readers, and watching Talking Words) and she was reading. (It almost seemed like magic...I guess she was just ready). She quickly transferred that knowledge into reading books. She is so proud of herself, and I thought she'd like to hang up the books she has read.

I strung a piece of yarn from the mantle, and she puts each book that she has read on the yarn. She loves to add new books and then counts them all to annouce the total...she's up to 9 so far. In the past 2 weeks she has lost interest in reading books by herself. That's okay with me. As long as she doesn't lose interest in having us read books to her, I'll be happy. (When she read her first book, she said "Now you don't have to read books to me anymore." I told her that would never happen because I love to read to her. She'll be a grown woman, and I'll still be coming over to read aloud with her and her sister.)

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip about Talking Words. My 3 year old knows all of his letter sounds from the Letter Factory and I was wondering what our next step was in videos. I am ordering Talking Words tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really wonderful, you must be so proud of her. We are doing BOB and teach your child in 100 easy lessons. Great JOb! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so beautiful. What an exciting evolution for you all!!!
    A great idea on the Book Garland! Go Mama, go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BOB books rock! I found watching my daughter learn to read to be one of the most exciting moments of parenthood thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for these books everywhere without luck. Do you mind sharing the name of the author?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori- They are from the 1st Bob Books set. Here's a link for them at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Books-Set-Beginning-Readers/dp/0439845009/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283137040&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I love your site. Is it ok if I leave a link to your blog on mine?

    mymontessorimoments.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete